Saturday, September 5, 2009

My New Project


Another question mark, but this post calls for it also. I have been in kind of a funk lately. After my wife died February 9
th of this year I jumped headfirst into writing to help me cope with the change in my life. I wrote a vampire novel, my very first, but maybe not my last. I had wanted to write one last year called Anne Rice's Vampire, and contacted her about it, because I heard that she would actually answer your email. I got an answer all right, but it was from her legal team telling me that I was not to use her name for a book or they would begin legal proceedings. I wrote them back that since Anne Rice did not speak one word in the book I believed I had the legal right to use her name, but if they were so narrow-minded about it I'd just pass. I'm still going to write the book, and rename it The Movie Star's Vampire.

So! I kinda got off track there I guess. I got into a funk and was unable to write much except a few poems here and there. I blame the fact that I turned seventy this last April for the reason I am having trouble with writing. I blamed that, but in my heart I knew that wasn't it. What had me wired up and unproductive was the fact that there was something on my mind that I wanted to write, something that I needed to write before I died. I feel okay. As of this writing I have nothing bothering me except for the normal things which I shan't bother you about. Still, I am seventy. I could go out before I finish this sentence.

It finally hit me yesterday in the late afternoon. The novel which I started not too long ago called God? is what I need to write. I didn't get much done when I started it, but have some notes taken and enough to get me started on this project. The plot is a simple one. A man who, because of a horrible accident where he killed his year-and-a-half-old brother. It destroyed him and he began to wonder why God would allow such a thing to happen and why would He allow innocent your children to suffer with terrible diseases when, as I said, they are innocent. That question, plus another religious situation involving his local pastor is enough to send him on a journey to find an answer to his question, and it will take him into strange situation.

I plan to attempt to get interviews from local pastors from each denomination in the
Thibodaux area and put the question to them. I imagine I know what most of their answers will be, but I want to see how different denominations respond to the question. Anyway, God? is my next project and I am going to take my time and try to make it a good book, and I also hope very much that I will be able to come away from this quest of Truman's with a better understanding of his dilemma. So this will be a momentous and instructive catharsis if handled correctly.

2 comments:

  1. I've been following this on your My Space blog, and I have to say it's wonderful. You breathe life and reality into your characters...and the dialogue...so honest and real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sweet, Dawn, I need to get back to the book, but other things are pressing me just now.

    ReplyDelete