Friday, February 12, 2010

My Doppelganger and I




I ponder the rain as I sit here, trying to get my mind in gear,
As I ponder I hear the drip, drop, of the rain on the rooftop,
The skies so gray you cannot tell, when day is gone and night has fell,
I await the stroke of midnight, when my doppelganger comes in sight,
The hours leading up to twelve, gives me time for my mind to dwell,
I wait for him to show me the rhyme, as I have done so many times,
Like a drunkard waits for his wine, I drink his words like they were mine,
Come, come, you ghostly midnight hour, I care not if you bring showers.

This is the price I have to pay, for finishing my book today,
I have used up all of my words, and sit here like some doofus nerd,
I should sit back on my laurels, not worry about words to borrow,
Within my mind whispers speak out, you must write that's what you're about,
The whispers disturb my solitude, besides that they're so very rude,
But yes, oh yes, I need to write, writing is my life, it's my plight,
In search of that one special tome, inside of my mind's catacombs,
To spend a day and not compose, is like a blind man without clothes.

So here I am awaiting fate, for at midnight I have a date,
My scattered alphabet to repair, reach up, pluck good words from the air,
Unscramble my confetti brain, oh please, oh please, don't be my bane,
Doppelganger bring word bouquets, accept my gratitude I pray,
Last time I said that was the last, I'd ask not again your words to pass,
It's different now, I'm truly stumped, just one more time give me a jump,
I am not like the poet Poe, I just can't get my words to flow,
The clock chimed twelve the time is here, what to do if you don't appear?

©February 12, 2010 / Jerry Pat Bolton

2 comments:

  1. Jerry,
    Prose that reads like a poem, or the poem written like prose... either way, very charming!!
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Alex . . .

    ReplyDelete